27 Jan Self-care for small business owners
Following your passion in business can make you feel good and help you be productive, and positively influence your mental health. But running a small business can also be stressful and challenging. Working long hours and struggling to achieve work–life balance, worrying about cash-flow and income, and feeling isolated and lonely (which can be helped by participation in Beyond Business Groups!). So it’s important to be proactive about looking after yourself, which is essentially what self-care is about. Keeping happy and healthy, and taking the time to recharge will help you stay productive and make good critical decisions. It will also reduce your stress levels and illness. Self-care is an important investment in your small business and your success.
There is no single formula to self-care. It’s about doing what you need to in order to stay happy and healthy. Knowing yourself, and what works for you depending on your personality, life stage, energy levels and so on. Self-care includes the big things like sleep and exercise, as well as smaller, indulgent things like having a massage or taking a bath. It’s also about minimising external negatives, saying ‘no’ to people and avoiding energy ‘vampires’.
Self care tips and suggestions
Here are some tips and suggestions to get you thinking. Create your own list of things that work for you.
- Don’t forget to eat – take a meal break where you can and eat nourishing food.
- Get plenty of sleep – set a regular sleep time to ensure enough quality sleep.
- Get regular exercise – walking, running, team sports, yoga, Pilates or whatever you prefer.
- Make time to unwind and recharge each day, week, month, quarter, year.
- Turn your phone off for periods throughout the day.
- Spend regular time on a hobby.
- Be in the moment and practice mindfulness and meditation.
- Ask for help from friends, family, your Beyond Business Groups tribe.
- Remove or reduce energy vampires – the people and activities that suck you dry.
- Learn to say ‘no’ so you don’t take on too much.
- Take a bath and light a scented candle.
- Listen to your favourite music, perhaps even dance!
- Treat yourself – eat out, get a massage or facial.
- Call or catch up with a friend or family member.
- Watch your favourite television show.
Create a self-care plan for your year ahead. List your top 3 non-negotiable self-care actions for the day, week, month, quarter and year.